Go to navigation (press enter key)Menu

Awards

Fulbright Grants Awarded to Colin Edwards '16, Kelsey Greenway '16, John Tapscott '16 and Lanbo Yang '15

The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The primary source of funding for the Fulbright Program is an annual appropriation made by the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Participating governments and host institutions, corporations and foundations in foreign countries and in the United States also provide direct and indirect support. Recipients of Fulbright grants are selected on the basis of academic or professional achievement, as well as demonstrated leadership potential in their fields. The Program operates in over 155 countries worldwide. Each year Vassar College supports as many as 40+ applicants for Fulbright Grants. Vassar College will forward to the Fulbright Commission all appropriately completed applications for a Fulbright award.  Recipients are chosen by the National Screening Committee.

Colin Edwards ’16- ETA Germany “With a lifelong connection to language learning and instruction and a heritage that has encouraged the exploration and understanding of language and culture, I have worked as the Arabic Teaching Assistant at Vassar College, a substitute teacher at a Virginia middle school, and the German Department Academic Intern at Vassar. My love and commitment for German language and culture will be essential to my time as an ETA and later on in a career in international law.

Kelsey Greenway ’16-Israel “Building upon my previous experience with Gaga technique, I will immerse myself in the Israeli dance community by taking Gaga classes at JAMD and by conducting interviews with prominent choreographers in Israel. I will take other dance classes to augment these studies. Finally, I will supplement this work with a choreographic mentorship, which will be geared toward the creation piece amalgamating all components of my year's work.

John Tapscott ’16- ETA Germany “I have chosen to apply for the ETA program in Germany as a result of my new found love for the German language and culture. Prior to college, I had no experience with German, but a genuine attachment developed almost immediately. I would love to share my experience of encountering a new language and culture with the same passion that German was introduced to me. I find Germany interesting, because of its highly significant role in the twentieth century.”

Lanbo Yang ’15-ETA Morocco “As an immigrant who struggled to learn English at a young age, I know personally that language can be used to gain self-confidence and develop a professional profile. After studying creative writing and English and French literatures, I hope to offer creative writing workshops and courses in American literature and culture. I am eager to explore the unique intersection of language and culture in Morocco and learn Moroccan Arabic or Tamazight.”