Go to navigation (press enter key)Menu

Awards

Watson Fellowship

Congratulations to Asia Alman and Julie Byrnes who have received the Watson Fellowship for independent study and travel outside the United States!

THE THOMAS J. WATSON FELLOWSHIP:  “The Foundation provides Fellows an opportunity for a focused and disciplined year of their own devising—a period in which they can have some surcease from the lockstep of prescribed educational and career paths in order to explore a particular interest thoroughly.  During their year abroad, Fellows have an unusual, sustained, and demanding opportunity to take stock of themselves, to test their aspiration and abilities, to view their lives and American society in greater perspective, and to develop a more informed sense of international concern.”   www.watsonfellowship.org

Asia Alman

Transgressing Borders: The Speaking Power of Black Immigrant Women

Brazil, China, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, United Kingdom

"My project seeks to explore the ways in which Black immigrant women tap into their voices in order to preserve their narratives of survival and healing. I seek to answer the questions of who Black immigrant women are, how citizenship affects their ability to not only live but to live safely, and why an investigation into the lives of undocumented Black immigrant women is important."

Julie Byrnes

Writing Heals: Narrative Medicine as a Means of Fighting Addiction

Ghana, United Kingdom, India, Japan

"During my Watson year, I will engage with substance abuse treatment facilities around the topic of narrative medicine, a process that helps those going through addiction treatment write their own stories. I hope to share and learn how these skills help those struggling with addiction, and from the connections I make, learn more about the pain and treatment of the disease."

Forty selective private liberal arts colleges are members of the Watson program and each may nominate up to four seniors.   The 49th class of Watson Fellows will investigate topics ranging from pediatric cancer treatment to citizen journalism; from animation to autonomous vehicles; from immigration to island communities; from megacities to wildfire management.