Go to navigation (press enter key)Menu

Awards

Fulbright Grants Offered to Chealin Won '17, Raymond Magsaysay '17, Nikki Lohr '17, Alexander Bue '14 and Vanessa Baker '14

The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The primary source of funding for the Fulbright Program is an annual appropriation made by the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Participating governments and host institutions, corporations and foundations in foreign countries and in the United States also provide direct and indirect support. Recipients of Fulbright grants are selected on the basis of academic or professional achievement, as well as demonstrated leadership potential in their fields. The Program operates in over 155 countries worldwide. Each year Vassar College supports as many as 40+ applicants for Fulbright Grants. Vassar College will forward to the Fulbright Commission all appropriately completed applications for a Fulbright award.  Recipients are chosen by the National Screening Committee.

Chealin Won ’17 ETA Romania As a Korean American who learned English as a second language, I understand the challenges faced by non-native speakers. However, I also believe that English can be taught in an accessible and transformative in order to bridge differences and embrace new cultures. As an immigrant who now considers the U.S. to be home, I offer new perspectives through my unique positionality while representing the beauty of a multicultural and diverse country.

Raymond Magsaysay ’17 ETA Spain After realizing that the experience of schooling goes beyond the walls of a building upon tutoring ESL students in high school, I wanted to learn more about what transpires behind the scenes of education. Four years of studying the sociology of education and working in educational policy later, I am ready to step out from behind the curtains and into center stage again as an ETA in Madrid, Spain, excited and equipped to empower others through education.

Nikki Lohr ’17 ETA Russia I plan to pursue a career in cultural diplomacy. I want to facilitate exchanges of visual artists between the U.S. and Russia as a way for these two nations to learn about each other's culture. I fell in love with Russian culture after studying art history in St. Petersburg for a semester. ETA would allow me to engage with Russians from a different city. Through them, I would gain a more multifaceted understanding of Russia, which is vital for diplomacy.

Alexader Bue ’14 ETA Indonesia English education is a shared education: It helps tell students’ stories and broadens our world by including them. I’m passionate about teaching English because it allows me to share my love of language while fostering a cultural exchange that makes for more empathetic and tolerant societies. The Fulbright Indonesia ETA program is at once aligned with my teaching philosophy and positioned to advance my professional, educational goals.

Vanessa Baker ’14 Mexico  I am pursuing a Master's in Translation and Interpretation at the Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara. It is a three-semester program with courses including Technique and application of translation, interpretation, and lexicology, seminars in comparative linguistics and universal culture, and composition in both Spanish and English. These courses will directly prepare me to be a translator and interpreter.