There are two types of post baccalaureate (postbac) programs:
- "Career Changing" Programs: for people who need to meet the requirements to apply for medical school.
- "Record Enhancing Programs": for people who want to enhance their academic record to be more competitive and gain a better grounding in the sciences.
For more information about types of programs visit the National Association for Health Professions Advisers Post-Bac Options page.
They say that a picture is worth a 1,000 words; so The University of Michigan Career Center recently created this piktochart to provide a few basic pointers to students considering post bac programs.
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Resources for Postbac Programs:
- AAMC resources for Postbac Programs
- Search the AAMC directory of Post baccalaureate Premedical Programs
- FIRST: Finanical Information, Resources and Tools
- AACOM Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programs
- Princeton University has a nice overview of the types of programs and additional resources.
- A Second Opinion: The Post-Baccalaureate(link is external) (NY Times, April 2012)
- Health Professions Advisory Program at Syracuse
- Drexel University College of Medicine: Veterinary Medical Science Program