Go to navigation

Awards

Fulbright Grants Offered

The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The primary source of funding for the Fulbright Program is an annual appropriation made by the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Participating governments and host institutions, corporations and foundations in foreign countries and in the United States also provide direct and indirect support. Recipients of Fulbright grants are selected on the basis of academic or professional achievement, as well as demonstrated leadership potential in their fields. The Program operates in over 155 countries worldwide. Each year Vassar College supports as many as 40+ applicants for Fulbright Grants. Vassar College will forward to the Fulbright Commission all appropriately completed applications for a Fulbright award.  Recipients are chosen by the National Screening Committee.

Jessica Au ‘16 – ETA Taiwain “As a woman of color from a low-income background, participating in the first Chinese language program in an Iowa public school opened social and economic opportunities for me. Learning a foreign language has strengthened my critical thinking skills, cultural awareness, and professional goals. Just as learning Chinese helped empower me to pursue international affairs and public policy, I would like to be a part of a program that furthers cultural exchange by teaching English to students in Taiwan.”

Jelena Borak ’15 – ETA Taiwan “A year ago, I was looking at applying to international education/development masters programs. I stopped short at the realization that I didn’t want to begin that journey by spending years learning about pedagogy from a book or in a classroom filled with voices, opinions, and experiences similar to my own. I wanted to begin it by putting myself in an environment where I would live and breathe the subject, participate in the exchange, and set a richer foundation for myself to begin this journey.”

Sarah Evans ’18 – Argentina – “I will research the agroecological networks in Argentina as social economic spaces which are (re)defined by the participants, organizations, and the cultures of campesino/indigenous peoples whom participate within them. I hypothesis that the culture and history of campesino/indigenous groups is intrinsic to the success of these alternative markets, and modes of participation and economic exchange fortify social/political expression and resistance to capitalist economy and industrial agriculture.”

Jason Goldman ’18 – ETA Germany “As an ETA I would apply to the classroom the knowledge I've acquired through my studies in sociology, and my experiences as a camp counselor and swim and theater instructor of young children. These experiences have prepared me to create an engaging, diverse, and mixed methodological teaching strategy. Germany stood out as the obvious choice from my studies of German culture, and for its unique position in the EU as a contemporary hub for cultural and societal exchange.”

Elijah Ness ’17 – Taiwan “I will create a series of maps showing connections between the urbanization of Taipei and the rural landscapes outside its metropolitan boundary. Chosen connections will be qualitative and derive from local engagement.  This project supersedes existing urbanization notions that rely on outdated statistical methodologies. It synthesizes my previous technical experience with the architectural design process with the critical inquiry into Chinese urbanism that was the focus of my bachelor’s degree.”

Yasmine Seghir ’18 – United Kingdom “My proposed project is to obtain an MA in International Politics from Aberystwyth University. This International Politics MA gives postgraduate students the tools necessary to explore the inherently global nature of the 21st century. This MA in International Politics is directly relevant to my future as an academic, and will provide me with the requisite knowledge for success in a Political Science PhD program having studied Postcolonial Politics thoroughly at Aberystwyth.”

Westin Sibley ’17 – ETA Taiwan “I have studied education and have much experience working in an educational setting with great range of people, which I will bring with me to my position as an English teaching assistant, along with my patience, kindness and enthusiasm. I am passionate about education and know that I am good at teaching. This is the strength that I have to offer the world and I seek to use it to have some impact. I am eager to learn from the education system in Taiwan and to build bridges between nations.”

Aviva Thal ’18 – ETA Columbia “I am a Hispanic studies major and I plan on a career teaching English as a foreign language in the United States. An ETA position in Colombia would allow me to gain teaching experience while continuing the language and cultural studies that I begun in college. I would bring to the program the ability to work in intercultural settings that I have gained from studying and volunteering abroad, as well as previous teaching experience and my love of the language learning process.”

Daniela Weiner '12- Germany She will conduct research at the Georg Eckert Institute for International Textbook Research, Braunschweig and at various other archives as part of her PhD dissertation project “Teaching a Dark Chapter: Holocaust and Resistance Representations in East German, West German, and Italian History Textbooks, 1943-2000,” which investigates how the post-fascist countries of East Germany, West Germany, and Italy taught about the Second World War and the Holocaust in their educational systems. (Supported by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)