Skip to contentSkip to site navigation

Awards

Fulbright Grants Offered

The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The primary source of funding for the Fulbright Program is an annual appropriation made by the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Participating governments and host institutions, corporations and foundations in foreign countries and in the United States also provide direct and indirect support. Recipients of Fulbright grants are selected on the basis of academic or professional achievement, as well as demonstrated leadership potential in their fields. The Program operates in over 155 countries worldwide. Each year Vassar College supports as many as 40+ applicants for Fulbright Grants. Vassar College will forward to the Fulbright Commission all appropriately completed applications for a Fulbright award.  Recipients are chosen by the National Screening Committee.

Hattie Goodwin ‘21, ETA, Spain: I greatly respect the Fulbright fellowship's reputation for providing support for graduates from the United States to effectively assist educators abroad in teaching English to young people. I have always been drawn to the field of education due to its transformative potential. There are few places in which people are encouraged to be as open to new

opportunities as they are in the classroom space. Due to this potential, I feel excited at the prospect of sharing a classroom community with young people from backgrounds differing drastically from my own. A community such provides the opportunity for great cultural exchange. In regards to my choice in selecting Spain as a host country, I have found Spain to be incredibly rich in culture and

history. While studying abroad in Madrid, I found that simply walking to a cafe could cause me to stumble upon a piece of history dating back centuries. Additionally, I could be exposed to a much more recent yet no less fascinating history by sitting at the kitchen table with my host grandmother and asking her questions about being a young person during Franco's dictatorship. I also recognize that this country is not free from inequality and injustice even if its forms look different than they do in the United States. As I have chosen to focus deeply on inequality and social justice through my time at Vassar, I am eager to learn more about these dynamics in the context of my host community. Culture is not only defined by what makes a space enjoyable. I believe in order to get a deeper understanding of my host community, I must also learn about what challenges it faces.

Julie Morel ‘19, India: I will conduct an intersectional study amongst northern urban and southern rural regions in India to understand the different types of support people and their roles throughout a woman's perinatal life cycle. By speaking with low-income lactating women who have recently given birth, I will seek to understand whether or not their care-seeking experiences

were intentional or unintentional, and how the interactions with their support networks followed. Ultimately, this research aims to analyze how pregnant and birthing women can be better supported throughout their perinatal period, and how the impact of these different support people can be expanded in all types of settings -- institutionalized or at home, urban or rural. Unfortunately, the non-clinical side of perinatal care is quite misunderstood in India and therefore holds very little value. However, countless studies worldwide are revealing that birth outcomes are often swayed heavily by the presence of a support person prior to and during birth, so this research aims to understand its value in an Indian cultural context. Based for the first half in New Delhi with The George Institute for Global Health and for the second half in rural Karnataka with the Bangalore Birth Network, this research hopes to span across geographical confines, understanding the struggles of homeless mothers in India's capital as well as in rural villages in a post-covid-19 world, where out-of-hospital birth rates have been soaring.