Fulbright Fellowships for Study Abroad
Welcome to the Fulbright competition! Each year Vassar College supports as many as 40+ applicants for Fulbright Grants. This is a wonderful opportunity to propose a carefully constructed, well-researched study abroad project or to participate in teaching English in another country. Please begin by reading the Fulbright website online. If you would like to make an appointment to talk about the process of applying, please do so at any time by calling the office at (845) 437-5263; even over the summer! Questions via email may be directed to LiKooperman@Vassar.edu
CAMPUS DEADLINE: September 13, this includes all letters of recommendation
In order to be considered for this award through Vassar College please complete a confidentiality waiver and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must register for an online application through the Fulbright website. Once you have access, you may work on the application at any location at which you have web access. In order to be considered for a grant, the application must be submitted electronically through the Fulbright application system and printed and turned in to the Office for Fellowships by the Vassar Campus deadline. Alumni should send the application via the post or fax. Please include a list of your recommenders and language evaluator with the hard copy.
- All supporting documentation (letters of evaluation, affiliation, and transcripts) should be submitted electronically through the Fulbright application system by the campus deadline; review the process for submitting supporting documentation handout
- Contact your referees as soon as possible. When they agree to write a letter in support of your application you should offer to provide a resume and/or copy of your personal statement so that they can learn more about you. Once you create an account and indicate who your referees will be, they will automatically receive an email with instructions and the appropriate form for the letter. Please make them aware of the campus deadline as they need to submit their letters at that time.
- You will be asked to set up an interview with a member of the Committee on Fellowships to discuss your proposed study; interviews will be assigned after you submit your application.
- The Committee on Fellowships reviews each application carefully and completes the campus evaluation form. Vassar College will forward to the Fulbright Commission all appropriately completed applications for a Fulbright award. We do not select or nominate at the campus level for this award. We are here to work as your advocates as you put forth your application.
We are happy to support alumni in the competition, currently enrolled students must apply through the campus committee process.
Blogs and publications from Vassar Fulbright Scholars:
- 36 Hours (and More) in Cartagena A photo essay by Sahara Borja
- Grace Cannon ’10, Germany: Hear about it in her own words
- Erica Licht ’10, Nigeria: A Justified Outdoors: A Fulbright Fellow’s Exploration of Youth, Community, Justice & the Outdoors in the U.S., Nigeria, and Beyond
- Julia Nethero ’12, China: White Rice
- Tanay Tatum ’12, ETA South Africa: Makupula Library Project
- Diana Heise ’01, Mauritius, Performance Art: Diana’s Virtual Tape
- Gabrielle Kotkov ’10 ETA to Italy: Gabrielle in Sicily
- Jonathan Kaiman ’09, China: AUR(IENT)ALISM
Applying in the creative arts?
- Check out this blog written by Fulbright Scholar, Deanna Fei, 2003-2004, China: Searching for A Thread of Sky
2009–20102009/10 Top Producer 2009/10 Vassar Recipients
2008–20092008/09 Top Producer 2008/09 Vassar Recipients
2007–20082007/08 Top Producer 2007/08 Vassar Recipients