Walter N. Maguire Fellowship Fund for Graduate Study Abroad
Maguire Fellowships are awarded in the amount of up to a maximum of $25,000 each depending on the nature and location of the proposed project, the expenses anticipated and the additional resources available to the applicant. The amount of the Maguire award will be determined by the Committee on Fellowships and may not be sufficient to cover all of the expenses projected by the applicant. It is therefore very important for all Maguire applicants to include a carefully prepared and well-researched budget or listing of anticipated expenses associated with the study as well as information about additional funds that may be available.
Normally, the Maguire study should take place over the course of the academic year--roughly September through May. As with all Vassar Fellowships, all arrangements and applications for entry to the proposed schools and/or affiliation with research supervisors are the responsibility of the applicant. Maguire Fellowships may not be deferred and must be used in the year for which they are awarded.
The Dean of Studies Office will not fund travel to or study in any area that is under U.S. State Department Travel Advisory level 4. The Dean of Studies Office will only fund travel to or study in any area that is under U.S. State Department Travel Advisory level 3 if granted through a petition process. For more information visit: Travel Advisory Policy
Campus Deadline is February 1, this includes letters of recommendation.
- Use the Recommendation Registration Form to register two people to serve as your referees (at least one must be a Vassar College faculty member). A third letter is optional. You must register your writers before you submit your application and inform them that the letters are due by the campus deadline.
- Download the Budget Worksheet and complete prior to completing your application. You will need it when you are ready to submit.
- Complete the Maguire Fellowship for Study Abroad and submit it by the campus deadline.
Renewals: Recipients of the Maguire Fellowship may apply for a renewal of the grant to immediately continue their study that is in the same country and a direct extension of the study that the original grant was awarded for. Renewals are usually $3,000 and must be used in the year in which they are awarded.
- To request a renewal you should follow all of the instructions listed above, including at least one new letter of recommendation from your current program, and submit the Maguire Renewal Application by March 15.
Should you be awarded a fellowship please keep in mind that changes or modifications to your plan of study will only be considered in the event that there are extenuating circumstances (something preventing you from participating in the program you proposed: program cancellation, unsafe travel conditions, etc.)
For Applicants: You must submit your application through the online system as indicated above. Please note that you cannot save information in the application and return to it at a later date. Seniors will need a transcript with fall grades included so seniors won't be able to submit the application until mid January, the earliest. You should save your work in a separate document and enter it all at once when you are ready to submit.
For Letter Writers: Candidates should register their references through the online application. Once registered, writers will receive a link to this form Letter of Recommendation Submission Form. If you haven't received an email please follow up with the applicant to ensure that you have been registered to write on his/her behalf. You may access this form at any time through this site, however you cannot save information and return to the form at a later date.
Maguire Fellowship recipients shall report in writing to the Committee on Fellowships two times during the year. If we do not receive the mid year report, we reserve the right to retain the balance of the fellowship funds. Each Fellow is responsible for any tax consequences associated with the fellowship and assumes total responsibility for complying with the rules and regulations of the host country and institution. Vassar College shall not be responsible for any injury, illness or property loss sustained by a Maguire Fellowship recipient.
Vassar College reserves the right to terminate a Maguire Fellowship and be refunded unused funds from a Maguire Fellow, in the event the Maguire Fellow:
- fails to submit timely reports of progress in the approved course of study for which the Fellowship was awarded;
- fails to report any changes in the plan or program of study for which the Fellowship was awarded;
- fails to report any additional funds awarded from other sources
- misappropriates any part of the Maguire Fellowship stipend;
- violates the criminal laws of the United States or of any country to which the Fellow travels; or
- fails to complete the plan or program of study for which the Fellowship was awarded.
Please note: If you wish to be considered for other Vassar Fellowships to support graduate study you must submit a separate application for VC Fellowships for graduate study. The common Vassar Fellowship application will allow you to be considered for any of the other Vassar Fellowships for which you are eligible. However, it is important to understand that the award amounts of these fellowships are considerably less than the Maguire--generally in the range of $2,500—3,000 with some of the restricted fellowships offering slightly higher amounts. The Belle Skinner Fellowship for the study of the history of France in France is frequently a more substantial award. With the exception of the Belle Skinner Fellowship and the Buffington Fellowship for independent research, the Vassar Fellowships are normally for those who plan to be enrolled in full-time graduate study. They may not be deferred. Maguire project proposals of successful candidates from previous years may be reviewed in the fellowship office.